Thursday, February 17, 2011

Addiction

Let's face it, we all have one, maybe two, possibly even three things we can't get enough of.  For me, it's usually all about food.  If I'm not eating it, I'm thinking about when it's going to happen again. 
Yes, it's horrible, but something I have lived with and will live with the rest of my days. 
I've accepted it.  There, enough said. 
 So how, you may ask, does this pertain to my craft?  Okay, meet my second addiction...shiny beads.  I'm not talking about rhinestones and all the bling you see out there. I'm talking about beads that you can see your reflection in. 
I have always coated my polymer with a special gloss (4 coats, to be exact).  Boy, do I love how they shine!  But, I have felt as if I were always cheating myself out of something.  I was never quite sure of what that was until I did the research.  You see, the pros (polymer clay big wigs) sand and buff their beads.  I have always thought this to be quite tedious and way too time consuming.  But after reading several testimonies and seeing the finished products, I figured it was worth a shot. 
Now I'm hooked.  I can smooth out my beads (sanding) and buff each one until I get the desired glossed effect.  Yes, it may take a little more time and my fingers do get sore, but it's worth it.
So, although I may never stop thinking about all the yummies that will find their way into my mouth, at least one of my addictions have met with a happier outcome. 

Cheers to all!

1 comment:

  1. I sand mine too...It's far easier and less-time consuming than when I tried coating them with Future. I do one pass of wet sanding with 1000 grit paper and buff them with the satiny backside of a piece of old velour! (sounds strange, I know, but it works great). I spend less than two minutes a bead for sanding and buffing. No drippy gloops and no waiting for anything to dry. They're not like glass, but they definitely have a shine to them. And you can always buff them up again if you ever need to.

    ReplyDelete